Airlift Northwest (ALNW), the preeminent medical transport service in the Pacific Northwest, has one mission: to improve health and serve communities by saving lives wherever needed, 24 hours a day — every day. Working with first responders throughout Washington, Alaska, Montana and Idaho, ALNW transports critically ill and injured patients to the best care for their medical condition, whether local hospitals, regional trauma centers or specialty care facilities.
We are seeking an outstanding IT Manager to join the team! This is a great opportunity for an IT leader who prefers to stay 'hands-on' with the technology and subsequent duties. Do you thrive in environments that are constantly changing, where you have the opportunity to create structure where it hasn't existed before? This position may be perfect if you like the 'start-up' feel and are internally motivated to consistently seek out more efficient/effective ways of accomplishing the tasks at hand.
What are we looking for?
- Patients Are First focus
- Customer service mindset
- Interpersonal skills and teamwork
- Results-oriented attitude
- Adaptability and flexibility
What are the perks?
- Medical insurance at reasonable rates with TEN plans to choose from!
- Dental Insurance at no cost to you OR your dependents…AND we have three plans for you to choose from!
- 10 paid holidays annually!
- 1 personal holiday every year!
- Generous amounts of vacation and sick leave that you can feel good about taking (more than 5 work weeks in your first year) !
- TWO Retirement plans to choose from – one even matches 100% of your contributions with immediate vesting!
- Voluntary Investment program to save more towards your retirement!
- Deferred Compensation program to save even MORE towards your retirement!
- Flexible Spending Account...Tax Exempt!
- Dependent Care Assistance program!
- On-site Childcare Centers!
- Long Term Disability insurance!
- Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment insurance!
- U-PASS transportation program and discounted parking…PRE-TAX!
- Tuition Exemption program – at the UW (and other colleges around the state)!
- Housing resources and home buying options!
- Auto, home, renter, and boat group insurance!
- Valuable membership and merchandise discounts!
- Federal student loan forgiveness under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) program!
For all of the specific details on these benefits and more, please click here.
What will you be doing?
The IT Manager (‘Manager’) oversees all aspects of ALNW’s information
technology systems, tools and applications to include (but is not limited to):
network support, communication systems, training and lab maintenance,
application support and asset management.
The Manager manages a team of information technology professionals and
identifies ongoing staffing requirements. In addition, the Manager is
responsible for strategic goal identification, needs prioritization, managing
budget requirements, building and maintenance of positive customer relationships,
maintenance of design standards, staff/resources management, vendor management
and quality assurance for the ALNW IT team.
The Manager takes responsibility for professional level computing
functions for ALNW such as programming, systems analysis, database development,
complex report development and information security management. The Manager is responsible for all
correspondence and communication between IT and all other ALNW teams, UW
Medicine, as well as outside organizations.
This position is responsible for resolving all IT issues that arise and
communicating the proper solutions to all appropriate individuals and
organizations. The Manager ensures that
the ALNW information technology systems are effective and that operations
continue to run smoothly.
The Manager is required to have a strong understanding of information
technology strategies, platforms, policies and procedures. This understanding will allow the individual
to build and develop rapport with UW Medicine IT Services directors, managers,
and programmers for solving problems across systems. Interaction with operations staff is required
to assure that production processes perform properly. Will work with software vendors to implement
and support purchased tools and applications.
Vendor contacts will be frequent to discuss existing products and
potential new products and to discuss problems with the product and future
needs. This position will continue to provide short and long-term technology
planning; develop goals and objectives; and implement and integrate
technologies into ALNW. The Manager will
identify information system enhancements that support and improve future
business needs. The Manager will be
required to coordinate and participate in meetings and industry events.
- Supervises and manages the ALNW IT Department staff. This position will be in charge of acquiring and appointing new IT employees as well as supervising staff on all daily operations within IT.
- Coordinates team member assignments, project and operational tasks, and project resource allocations.
- Evaluates staff performance, mentors those with less experience through formal channels and performs other administrative, budgeting and personnel duties as required.
- Builds, grows, and supports positive team culture; models leadership and teamwork.
- Assists staff with professional development and recommends training opportunities; challenges others to develop as leaders while serving as a role model and mentor; manages the development of the team by ensuring, when possible, that project tasks are in line with each staff member’s career interests.
- Identifies appropriate and timely training for staff and assists in making arrangements for staff to attend training.
- Provides input to the budget process to ensure adequate funding for staff training requirements.
- Approves team members’ time and expense reports in a conscientious and timely manner.
- Reviews the status reports of team members and addresses issues as appropriate.
- Identifies opportunities for improvement and makes constructive suggestions for change.
- Trains staff and customers through both formal and informal training programs; encourages staff to take responsibility for their development within ALNW and UW Medicine.
- Consistently acknowledges and appreciates each team member’s contributions; effectively utilizes each team member to his/her fullest potential; and motivates team to work together in the most efficient manner.
- Keeps track of lessons learned and shares those lessons with team members.
- Maintains a safe and secure work environment; mitigates team conflict and communication problems.
- Plans and facilitates regular team activities outside the office.
- Remains on the forefront of emerging industry practices and manages the process of innovative change; seeks and participates in development opportunities above and beyond training.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending education workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; benchmarking state-of-the-art practices; and participating in professional societies.
Infrastructure and Systems
- Insures the implementation and operation of mission critical networks, file servers, SQL business applications, web applications, and phone systems function at six sites and on a 24/7 basis.
- Researches, organizes and plans for acquisition, deployment and implementation of computing equipment and solutions within the complex technology environment of ALNW and UW Medicine IT Services.
- Oversees all telephone and web conferencing technologies utilized by ALNW.
- Manages and develops upgrades to ALNW’s telephone and web conferencing systems at each level and base.
- Oversees all end user support activities for all teams and ALNW base locations; responds to escalated issues as necessary.
- Oversees the administration and maintenance of issue tracking software.
- Assists in the planning and implementation of additions, deletions, and major modifications to the supporting infrastructure.
- Implements network security at all levels and base locations as established by UW Medicine’s Chief Information Security Officer.
- Oversees the administration and maintenance of the network infrastructure and directs junior staff as necessary.
- Oversees the administration of ALNW’s WAN.
- Oversees the administration and maintenance of computer stations and software for ALNW training programs and the Clinical Education Department and provides additional support if necessary.
- Oversees troubleshooting, systems backups, archiving and disaster recovery and provides expert support when necessary.
Operations and Communications (15%)
- Accomplishes financial objectives by forecasting requirements; preparing an annual budget; scheduling expenditures; analyzing variances; initiating corrective action.
- Completes projects by coordinating resources and timetables with user departments and data center.
- Verifies application results by conducting system audits of technologies implemented.
- Formulates and implements IT Department policies and procedures for staff; responsible for the achievement of the IT Department productivity and performance goals.
- Initiates and implements improvements in all areas of IT responsibility.
- Serves as main point of contact on all IT-related matters.
- Manages the purchasing of all software, hardware, and other IT supplies for all ALNW departments and bases.
- Provides input and participates in budget process.
- Ensures assets are maintained responsibly.
- Suggests areas for improvement in internal processes along with possible solutions.
- Leads internal teams/task forces.
- Complies with and helps to enforce ALNW policies and procedures.
- Works with project teams to help implement internals systems.
- Facilitates team meetings effectively.
- Organize and manage weekly staff meetings to ensure and promote program efficiencies.
- Holds regular status meetings with team.
- Keeps team well informed of changes within ALNW and UW Medicine.
- Effectively communicates relevant IT-related information to superiors.
- Delivers engaging, informative and well-organized presentations.
- Resolves and/or escalates issues in a timely fashion.
- Understands how to communicate difficult/sensitive information tactfully.
- Relays relevant IT-related information to ALNW in a timely manner.
Standards, Policies, and Processes (15%)
- Maintains ALNW’s effectiveness and efficiency by defining, delivering and supporting strategic plans for implementing information technologies.
- Assists in developing all ALNW IT processes and best practices in areas such as Capacity Planning, Availability Planning, Configuration Management, Problem Management, and Business Continuity.
- Preserves assets by implementing risk assessments, business continuity and disaster recovery plans, back-up procedures and information security and control structures.
- Recommends information technology strategies, policies and procedures by evaluating ALNW’s outcomes; identifying problems; evaluating trends; and anticipating requirements.
- Maintains quality service by establishing and enforcing ALNW standards.
- Directs technological research by studying ALNW’s goals, strategies, practices, and user projects.
- Establishes, maintains, and ensures compliance to technical standards.
- Creates and maintains processes for ratification of new standards.
- Develops new guidelines and best practices for major systems and applications.
- Provides technical content for program RFPs and RFQs, evaluates content, and identifies risks.
Customer and Vendor Relationship Management (10%)
- Manages day-to-day internal customer interaction; sets and manages internal customer expectations.
- Interacts with internal customers on all levels to help resolve IT-related issues and provides solutions.
- Communicates effectively with internal customers to identify needs and evaluate alternative business solutions.
- Continually seeks opportunities to increase internal customer satisfaction and deepen customer relationships.
- Builds and maintains vendor relationships and manages the purchase of hardware and software products through UW/HMC Purchasing.
- Acts as the technical liaison, supervisor and spokesman for the members of the ALNW team, in their interactions with other teams, customers, and ALNW management and leadership.
- Identifies and provides standards for gathering information for use in trend analysis and reports information to ALNW management.
What you’ll bring to the table: (minimum requirements)
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Business Administration or related field or equivalent combination of education/experience.
6+ years' experience must include the following:
- Progressively more responsible experience managing a team of technical staff who support critical, complex computing infrastructure to include understanding of quality and data center management.
- Experience managing, coaching, and developing technical staff. This experience should include training, assigning, and reviewing completed work assignments.
- Experience in the implementation and management of wide and local area networks, Windows server technologies, VMWare technologies, SQL Server technologies, and business applications, SharePoint and web development technologies, Windows 7, phone systems, video conference networks and equipment.
- Ability to develop and manage departmental budgets.
- Successful interaction with all levels of personnel within finance, communication center, outreach, transfer center, and clinical departments.
- Ability to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner, manage difficult situations professionally, and respond to customer needs promptly.
- Successful completion of numerous analytical projects which required initiative and creative solutions to problems.
- Ability to prepare properly labeled analysis and communicate issues, findings and recommendations.
Ideally, you’ll also have: (desired skills and experience)
- Advanced-level skills with respect to ALNW’s information technologies, computer systems and supporting software programs, which include RescueNet (Zoll), emsCharts, 9th Brain, SharePoint intranet, extranet, SQL, Crystal, and other reporting or query tools. Demonstrates advanced understanding of position skill requirements related to tasks, knowledge and abilities.
- Experience in air medical transport or emergency response industries is preferred.
What are some of the other tidbits that you might want to know?
- This position creates a nurturing and safe professional work environment to enhance a creative, enriching and positive atmosphere. Promotes organization philosophy.
- Fast-paced professional office environment.
- Normal working hours. May also work off-hours and weekends.
- On-Call coverage (7x24), as assigned.
- Ability to communicate clearly in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Appointment to this position will be contingent upon successful completion of reference checks and criminal background investigations.
- This posting may not include the complete description for the role.
- The application process for UW Medicine positions may include completion of a variety of online assessments to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process (i.e. Work Authorization, Criminal Conviction History, Cover Letter and/or others). Any assessments that you need to complete will appear on your screen as soon as you select “Apply to this position”. Once you begin applying for a position, all assessments must be completed at that time. Please note that your application shows up in our system as ready to review regardless of whether or not all assessments have been completed. If the assigned Recruiter happens to review applications prior to all of your assessments being completed, there is a chance you could be 'Not Selected' due to an incomplete application. For this reason, we strongly encourage all applicants to ensure there is plenty of time to complete all of the assessments prior to clicking on “Apply to this position”.
Who are we and what do we do?
UW Medicine’s mission is to improve the health of the public by advancing medical knowledge, to provide outstanding primary and specialty care to the people of the region, and to prepare tomorrow’s physicians, scientists and other health professionals. Our staff not only enjoys outstanding benefits and professional growth opportunities, but also an environment noted for diversity, community involvement, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits, and natural beauty.
The University of Washington is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact the Disability Services Office at 206-543-6450 / 206-543-6452 (tty) or email@example.com.
The University of Washington is a leader in environmental stewardship and sustainability, and committed to becoming climate neutral.